Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Greetings

Tuesday evening = first post.

I started this blog because my higher ups read my public site and blog and needless to say, I can't honestly write what happens or how I feel in regards to work with someone looking over my shoulder. Lately, I have barely had any time for my friends since I have been inundated with work, so I figure this will be a pretty easy way to entertain and welcome people into what I do during the day. I've been keeping a personal account of my days here for the book that I am working on (very very very far ahead in the future), but having something semipublic is more fun. Many random, cool, and fun incidents happen at the office that the girls have coined the phrase, "that goes in the book!” We have a notebook in the back room so we can easily run and jot any event before we get too busy to recollect the details later. The pages are pretty full. So this is me reaching out to you sharing the ins and outs of being immersed in the music industry. I will try to be as detailed as possible, without naming names and being vague on times and locations.

I've been in NYC for over a year now and things have really been solidifying in the past few months. I have titled my blog "little fish big sea" because as I walked through the city between skyscrapers and hundreds of people while fighting back tears of frustration and desolation, it kept echoing through my head that I was such a small factor in this now global music scale in which I am now involved. Once having my finger on the pulse of my local music scene, I was thrusted into the big leagues. And everyday when I left the office, I played a little Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown album was the soundtrack of my beginning months here, particularly these lyrics:

In a world full of bitter pain
And bitter doubts
I was trying so hard to fit in
Fit in, until I found out

I don't belong here (I don't belong)
I don't belong here (I don't belong)
I will carry a cross and a song
Where I don't belong
I don't belong

It was a beautiful letdown
When You found me here
Yeah, for once in a rare blue moon
I see everything clear
I'll be a beautiful letdown
That's what I'll forever be
And though it may cost my soul
I'll sing for free

But I'm happy to say that I now live with two of my closest friends, have made a dent for myself here in the industry, have had amazing learning experiences, and maintain a lot of awesome new friendships. This is my life now and I couldn't be happier or imagine doing anything else.

I work for one of the most respected music management companies in the world. My boss was a pioneer in the industry and started by joining forces with another big global name in the industry. We have half the artists now than what we had when I first was hired. My company manages one world wide super star act (WWSS), a classic rock legend (CRL), an lifetime musician who is now a big time actor and is going back to his roots (AM), and a recently signed baby artist (RSBA). We are currently scouting out more bands to add to our roster, but four is enough to keep us busy. I'll often refer to my bosses, who will now be known as B1 and B2.

So this is me, a twenty something discovering who she is and who she wants to be in the city that never sleeps in the industry that mimics and guides peoples' lifestyles.

(I am now signing off to watch “Love Monkey” on CBS. I highly recommend it, it’s my life in sitcom form. And I will be on it soon, blog to come about that soon. Tom Cavanagh is my newest star crush.)